Once endearingly referred to as “love handles” no one is loving belly fat anymore. At least not on people who are old enough to tie their own shoes. An accumulation of fat around the middle has been labeled “the most dangerous kind of fat” by several health and medical sources. Carrying an excess of abdominal fat puts people at greater risk for a variety of health problems. That includes diabetes, some types of cancer, heart disease and sudden death.
Just as Murphy’s Law would lead us to believe, this most dangerous type of fat is also some of the most difficult to shed. Increasing aerobic exercise and avoiding processed foods high in sugar and unhealthy fats is a necessary step to fight belly fat. Including the following 8 items in your daily diet may help you flatten that tummy.
Trying to Fight Belly Fat? These Helpers Might Surprise You
- Water. Yep, plain old water supports weight loss and helps your body naturally eliminate toxins.
- Coconut cider vinegar. Coconut cider vinegar contains heaps of essential minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that keep the body nourished as you reduce calories.
- Heathy fats. Contrary to what we’ve been taught, fat doesn’t make you fat. Good-for-you fats like those found in nuts, salmon, olive oil and extra virgin coconut oil may help you lose the spare tire. Adequate amounts of healthy fats improve brain function and help dieters consume fewer calories overall.
- Eggs. The body needs protein, and too many dieters skimp on this important nutrient when cutting calories. Eggs not only provide a low-calorie boost of protein, they stimulate the body to burn calories (fat) more efficiently. They are an eggcellent way to fight belly fat.
- Spices. Variety is the spice of life, and seasonings such as ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne are found to be especially helpful for weight loss.
- Oatmeal. Mom was right, that bowl of oatmeal is good for you. Full of fiber and known for promoting healthy cholesterol levels, a bowl of oats in the morning can keep you fueled until lunch.
- Green smoothies. A single green smoothie can provide many of the fruit and vegetable servings you need for the day. Drink your vegetables, lose the gut.
- Quinoa. This ancient grain is a great source of protein and satisfies the craving for rice or pasta without encouraging your body to store more fat.
With these foods on your side, belly fat won’t be.