Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil amounts are no longer limited to the USDA. In a surprising turnaround from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, limits on coconut oil have been removed. That is also the case with some other high-fat foods.
Long ago, the USDA recommended eating no more than 300 milligrams of cholesterol each day. To clarify things, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology conducted a research. It was found there is a lack of evidence to support such long-held belief. So, eating dietary cholesterol does not really raise serum cholesterol.
Since the 1970s, the USDA has warned about the dangers of eating high cholesterol and high-fat foods. Eggs, full-fat dairy products, meat, coconut oil, and nuts were limited by USDA guidelines. It is a way to prevent high cholesterol. The new guideline will end three decades of misinformation about how high cholesterol should be managed.
Why Coconut Oil Doesn’t Raise Cholesterol Levels
Only animal products contain cholesterol. But coconut oil, coconut meat, and a few other tasty things were once lumped in with high-cholesterol foods. They were even tagged as sources of unhealthy fat. The facts about cholesterol make it easy to understand why eating animal products don’t affect cholesterol levels. Only about 20 percent of the cholesterol in our blood comes from the foods we eat. We need more cholesterol than our diet can provide in order to function properly. The other 80 percent is made by the liver. In reality, the foods we eat have very little effect on actual cholesterol numbers.
The Good News
Dietary guidelines are revised every five years. Guidelines due to be published in 2016 will reflect the new information. On the advice of experts, these high-fat foods will be reintroduced as safe. And the good thing is that there will be no limits.
Doctors are now emphasizing that sugar is the new bad boy on the block. Sugar adds zero nutritional value to food. The body doesn’t need the extra carbohydrates provided by sugar. Low-fiber carbs like sugar have the biggest impact on insulin levels. But don’t expect new USDA guidelines to put limits on sugar. An overall healthy intake of calories will be emphasized.
So what does it all mean for lovers of coconut oil and other high-fat foods? It means you have permission to skip the skim and embrace the fat. Of course, calories do still count. High-fat foods should be part of a balanced diet. That includes plenty of high-fiber and low-cal foods that provide plenty of nutrition.
Decoding the Labels
If you ever decide to buy coconut oil, always look for the USDA Organic label. It should give you a hint that the coconuts used were grown and harvested without using pesticides and other harmful methods.
Also, be extra careful when choosing a coconut oil. There are plenty of coconut oil brands out there that claim to be be organic, but haven’t undergone the entire certification process. This is where Google comes handy. Do your homework and research. It could just save you money without having to put your health at risk.
It should not take you years to figure out whether or not you are eating healthy. In this digital era, information is just within reach. All you have to do is research and read.