You may already have all the smartest unrefined extra virgin coconut oil uses for cooking in your repertoire. Maybe you toss it on hot vegetables. Or you skip the butter in your baked goods and add coconut oil instead. You even drizzle coconut oil on your popcorn for family movie night. Congratulations! You get an “A” for cooking with organic extra virgin coconut oil, but there are so many other ways to stay healthy and save money with this natural wonder. Are you getting all the best possible benefits? Let’s see!
No matter how you’re using it, always choose high-quality organic extra virgin coconut oil that’s been processed without heat. Unrefined, cold-processed oil is the purest type of coconut oil available. It retains all the nutrition, healthy Medium Chain Triglycerides and antimicrobial properties Mother Nature intended coconut oil to have. Now that you know which kind to buy, you’ll appreciate these suggestions for basic coconut oil uses even more.
Unique Coconut Oil Uses
- Mix equal parts baking soda and coconut oil for a toothpaste that will freshen breath, fight stubborn stains and protect against the bacteria that causes gum disease
- Remove eye makeup
- Quiet a squeaky door hinge by rubbing in a dot of coconut oil
- Protect baby’s delicate skin. Use it neat as a diaper cream and to help get rid of cradle cap
- Heal cracked, dry heals by massaging into feet and covering with socks before bedtime
- Make old-fashioned cold-process soap
- Condition wood furniture by rubbing in a small amount of oil with a soft cloth. Be sure to remove any remaining oil with a clean cloth
- Remove gum from hair
- Season cast-iron cookware
- Protect hair from chlorine and other chemicals before swimming by combing a generous dab of coconut oil into hair. Don’t forget to cover those fragile ends!
- Whip organic extra virgin coconut oil with an equal amount of shea butter for the most luxurious—and budget friendly–body butter you’ve ever used
- Apply to minor cuts and scraped to protect against infection
- Some people swear that topical application helps relieve the pain and itch of hemorrhoids. Makes sense, coconut oil contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial components
- Use as a massage oil
- Deep condition hair by massaging into scalp and hair, let set for at least 10 minutes then wash as usual
- Make nails glow and repair dry cuticles with a quick application of coconut oil
And of course, our favorite use of all–use more unrefined extra virgin coconut oil to stay healthy and enjoy life!