You don’t have to buy expensive haircare products to make your crowning glory look bouncy and shiny. All you need is one product to achieve the gorgeous hair you want. That is coconut oil.
Although you can apply it directly to your hair and massage it through every strand, you can also think of inventive ways to use it and reap its benefits, like this coconut oil hair mask.
What You Need
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- Essential oil of your choice
How to Prepare It
- The first thing you need to do is to melt the coconut oil until it becomes liquid. Slowly add the honey as the oil melts. If the honey is in solid state, you can pop the honey in your microwave for a few seconds to somehow warm it. And then, add apple cider vinegar.
- Mix all ingredients together. Do not worry if the oil separates a bit. That’s completely normal. Just keep on mixing it. As you apply it, make sure you give it a swirl. That way, you still get an equal amount of nutrients from the ingredients.
- Apply it using a hair coloring brush. But first, divide your hair into four equal sections. After which, apply the coconut oil hair mask solution starting at the roots. Move your way up to the tips slowly. Once you complete a section, massage the solution through your hair with your fingertips.
- When you have completed all four sections, tie your hair up into a bun and let the coconut oil hair mask solution sit for at least 15 minutes. Next, wash it with a mild shampoo. No need to apply a hair conditioner. Take note that if your hair is so dry, you might need to leave the solution on a bit longer and wrap your hair in a towel for about an hour before rinsing.
When You Should Apply the Coconut Oil Hair Mask
How often should this coconut oil hair mask be applied? Depending on how dry your hair is, the application varies. Ideally, it has to be applied once a week because the results are long lasting. But at times when you feel like your hair and scalp are drier than the usual, especially during winter, make sure you apply at least twice a week.
The Safe Application of Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Of course, you can benefit from this hair mask. Then again, there are safe application practices to observe when using this coconut oil hair mask. These are as follows:
- Avoid direct application to the scalp. Even if coconut oil is beneficial for those suffering from dandruff issues, its direct application might not always yield positive results. In some cases, this oil may cause pores to clog, resulting in irritation.
- Apply in small amounts. If you are uncertain about how your hair reacts to coconut oil, use this hair mask solution in small amounts. And then, observe how your hair responds. If you see positive results, then you can proceed with using it.
- Consider the addition of other ingredients. When combined with other oils, the benefits of coconut oil for hair may vary. For instance, mixing coconut oil with yogurt and honey may provide your hair with more benefits.
It’s not difficult to make a coconut oil hair mask. So, good luck in reviving your hair to its shiny, healthy, and bouncy state!