Now that spring is here we’re all spending more time outdoors. Working in the garden, enjoying outdoor sports and taking long walks in the sunshine are good for the body and spirit—but maybe not so good for the lips. Exposure to the elements can cause lips to become dry and chapped, especially if you and your luscious pucker were spending a lot of time indoors during the winter. A natural oil-based product like Our Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil lip balm works to prevent and repair the minor damage an outdoor lifestyle can cause. Coconut oil is naturally moisturizing. It will leave your lips feeling soft and soothed.
Find containers for you homemade coconut oil lip balm online at natural beauty suppliers or save the little tubs your favorite store-bought lip conditioner comes in. Where ever you find them, take the time to sanitize your containers, even if they’re brand new. Wash with hot water and soap, then place the containers and lids on a baking sheet. Place the sheet into a pre-heated 250-degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove the sheet from the oven and allow the containers to cool before filling.
Yield: Depends on the size of your containers
- 2 tablespoon Coco Treasure’s Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets (beeswax prepared especially for making body care products)
- Place the pure coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler. Gently heat the mixture until the oil and wax are completely melted. Whisk to incorporate the ingredients, and remove from heat.
- Use a small metal funnel to spoon the balm into your container. Allow the balm to cool and harden before using. Extra containers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
- Remember that the consistency of organic extra virgin coconut oil changes with the temperature. If left in a hot car or warm purse, the coconut oil could become liquid again.