If you’re looking for a Labor Day salad idea that’s a little different than the usual thing–and a little healthier—Coco Treasure has got you covered! Labor Day picnics and backyard cookouts are a proud American tradition, but unfortunately, so are unhealthy side dishes laden with carbohydrates and mayonnaise. Delicious, yes. Healthy, not so much.
For this year’s get together, we suggest our crowd-pleasing 15-Minute Cauliflower Salad that is tasty and good for you at the same time. Cauliflower has rocketed in popularity lately thanks to low-carb and gluten-free eaters who’ve discovered how versatile a head of cauliflower can really be. One of the frequent complaints about this humble vegetable is that it has a bland taste. And that can be true when not prepared correctly. But the blank-slate of cauliflower is actually what makes it so versatile. It takes on the flavors of whatever ingredients it’s mixed with. In the case of our Labor Day salad, those flavors are savory with a mild kick of spice.
Try Cauliflower for Your Labor Day Salad
- 1 lb. cauliflower, but into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes in oil, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes, seeds and pulp removed
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place cauliflower in a covered microwavable bowl. Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, chop and slice the remaining ingredients as needed.
- Remove as much water as possible from the cooked cauliflower. Recommended methods include putting it in a salad spinner, putting it in a mesh strainer and applying pressure with a large spoon or placing the cauliflower in a clean dish cloth and wringing it out.
- Microwave the dry cauliflower for 30 seconds to reheat.
- Place the hot cauliflower in a large bowl and toss with the coconut oil until the oil is melted and coats all the cauliflower. Add the remaining ingredients, stir to mix.
Our 15-Minute Cauliflower Salad is delicious served warm, at room temperature or chilled. You decide!