If you’re looking for a Labor Day salad idea that’s a little different than the usual thing–and a little healthier—Coco Treasure has got you covered! Labor Day picnics and backyard cookouts are a proud American tradition. Unfortunately, so are unhealthy side dishes heavy with carbohydrates and mayonnaise. Delicious, yes, but healthy? Not so much.
For this year’s get together, we suggest our crowd-pleasing 15-Minute Cauliflower Salad. It’s tasty and good for you at the same time. Cauliflower has rocketed in popularity lately thanks to low-carb and gluten-free eaters who’ve discovered how versatile a head of cauliflower can really be. One of the most common complaints about this humble vegetable is that it has a bland taste. And that can be true when not prepared correctly. But the blank-slate of cauliflower is actually what makes it so easy to work with. Cauliflower takes on the flavors of whatever ingredients it’s mixed with. And in the case of our Labor Day salad, those flavors are savory with a mild kick of spice.
- 1 lb. cauliflower cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes in oil minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley chopped
- ½ cup diced fresh tomatoes seeds and pulp removed
- ½ cup Kalamata olives sliced
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Place cauliflower in a covered microwavable bowl, and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, chop and slice the remaining ingredients as needed.
- Remove as much water as possible from the cooked cauliflower. Try spinning it in a salad spinner or putting it in a mesh strainer and applying pressure with a large spoon. A third method is to place the cauliflower in a clean dishcloth and wring it out.
- Microwave the dry cauliflower for 30 seconds to reheat.
- Place the hot cauliflower in a large bowl, and toss with the coconut oil until the oil is melted and coats all the cauliflower. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to mix.
- Serve our 15-Minute Cauliflower Salad warm, at room temperature or chilled. You decide! Either way, it’s delicious.