Who doesn’t love coconut shrimp? They’re crunchy, sweet and savory all in one shrimp-sized package. And so versatile, they’re perfect as an appetizer, to top a green salad or as an entrée served with rice and stir-fried vegetables. Using natural coconut oil to quick-fry the coated shrimp enriches the coconutty goodness and ensures a crisp, crunchy outcome every time.
- 4 tablespoons Coco Treasure Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 egg whites
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 lb. large shrimp, deveined and peeled
- In a shallow pan, mix the bread crumbs, shredded coconut, salt and chili pepper until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Use a mixer to whip the egg whites into a soft meringue.
- Dip shrimp into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Heat coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Oil should be hot but not smoking. (After being breaded, the shrimp can hold several minutes while oil comes to temperature.)
- Place shrimp into the skillet without crowding. Cook for approximately two minutes on each side or until the breading is golden and crispy.
- Dress shrimp with a light squeeze of fresh lime juice and serve immediately.