If you love a hearty bowl of oatmeal in the morning but also enjoy a bit of variety, this delicious farro porridge with coconut milk will start your day right. Farro is an ancient strain of wheat with a nutty flavor. Note, this grain is not gluten-free as it is a type of wheat. However, it is packed with dietary fiber and is low in calories. The consistency is similar to barley–a bit more dense and chewy than rice or your usual morning oats. The hearty consistency means it won’t take a huge serving to satisfy even the hungriest appetite and it will keep providing energy until lunchtime. Once difficult to find, ancient grains have become popular ingredients and are usually available in mainstream and chain grocery stores. Look for farro in the “organic” or “health food” sections at your favorite grocery store. Choose semi-pearled farro for the highest nutritional value.
Yield: 4, 1-cup servings
How To Make Farro Porridge with Coconut Milk:
- 2 13.5-ounce cans of light coconut milk
- 2 cups farro (soaked and drained)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- Rinse the farro and soak it in a bowl of water overnight. Do not refrigerate. Drain excess water before cooking.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the organic extra virgin coconut oil and berries in a medium-sized saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until mixture is creamy but the grains still retain a pleasant chewiness. If the mixture becomes too dry while cooking, add more water ¼ cup at a time.
- Remove from heat. Stir in coconut oil and sliced berries before serving.
If you are looking for another healthy snack, you may try also our Coconut Crème Brulee recipe.