A Side Dish Your Family Will Love
- 1 ½ lbs. new potatoes washed but not peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ cup fennel fronds chopped
- The juice and zest of one lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in salted water until they are fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat coconut oil in a skillet. Add the fennel seeds to the hot oil and toast for 2-3 minutes or until the seeds become fragrant. Do not brown the seeds or overcook them. Remove the pan from heat when done.
- Drain water from the potatoes and smash them lightly. Return potatoes to the hot pan. Add fennel and all the oil, lime juice and zest, chopped fronds and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix.
Serving Suggestion: Serve this side dish piping hot or thoroughly chilled. It makes a delicious and unusual version of cold potato salad. Don’t know what to do with the leftover fennel bulb after you used the fronds? Clean and chop the fresh fennel and stir it into the chilled potatoes. The slightly sweet, anise-flavored vegetable will add crunch and fresh summery flavor to the salad.