Fall brings many warm and homey foods back to the table, and nothing evokes fall more than a delicious homemade pie. Can’t you just taste that flaky pie crust melting in your mouth? Too bad all your gluten-free friends have to suffer from that tough, rubbery thing that’s more like a giant cracker than anything deserving the name pastry. Or do they? Not if you use our super-secret, super-tender gluten-free coconut flour pie crust. The “secret” to our pie crust with coconut flour is eggs. Usually, eggs are reserved for the outside of a crust to help it bake up beautifully golden. But all baked goods made with coconut flour, even flaky pastries, benefit from the extra liquid an egg or two provides.
Omit the sweetener from this recipe and use it for all types of savory dishes such as tarts, quiche or to top a chicken pot pie. Yum!
Perfect Coconut Flour Pie Crust
Makes 1 9-inch crust
- ½ cup Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup Coco Treasure Certified Organic Coconut Flour
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Nectar Syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream coconut oil, eggs, salt and syrup together in a mixing bowl until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add flour ¼ cup at a time. Stir until the dough comes together. Remember, coconut flour is highly absorbent.
- Adding the flour slowly allows you to adjust as you stir, making sure the dough doesn’t become too dry too quickly.
- Gather the dough into a ball, and wrap it in plastic wrap. Place the ball in a cool, but not cold, place to rest for about 20 minutes. Over chilling will cause the coconut oil to harden and make the dough difficult to work with.
- The lack of gluten makes it difficult to roll this dough in the traditional manner. Instead, pat the dough directly into a lightly greased pie pan until there is an even layer across the bottom and up the sides. Crimp the edges as you please. Use a fork to prick holes in the bottom and prevent the crust from forming air bubbles while baking.
- Par-bake for approximately 15 minutes or until very lightly golden. Add your favorite pie fillings as desired.