Holidays and special celebrations should not be an excuse for not eating healthy. Even if it’s your birthday or it’s thanksgiving, you can still prepare some nutritious for the whole family. This Green Bean Casserole is a perfect recipe to begin with.
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon red pepper crushed
- 1 pc. red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups mushroom chopped
- 1 ½ lbs. green beans
- 2 cups parsnips chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Pepper to taste
- In a wide-bottomed saucepan, put ½ tablespoon Coco Treasure Organics Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and set to low heat. Put the onions and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to caramelize. If the onions look dry, splash a bit of water into the pan.
- While waiting for the onions to cook, puree the parsnip. Put them in a steamer for about 10 minutes. Set aside and let them cool.
- After that, prepare the green beans. Remove the ends of the beans and cut them by 2 inches. Steam them for 8 minutes. Set them aside in an 8”x8” baking dish.
- Once the onions have caramelized, set them aside. Cook the mushrooms in the same pan and sauté for one minute. And then, add garlic. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the garlic and mushroom mixture to the green beans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Put the other half of the garlic and mushroom mixture, as well as the steamed parsnips in a blender. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
- Pour the blended mixture over the mushrooms and green beans. Stir to coat. Use the caramelized onions as toppings.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
Take note though. Because this dish uses nothing but vegetables, make sure you use only the fresh varieties. Enjoy!