Banana nut muffins with organic extra virgin coconut oil are a healthier and more portable of everyone’s favorite– traditional banana nut bread. The flavors of banana nut bread are a perfect balance of sweet and spice, soft and crunchy. This recipe for banana muffins with organic extra virgin coconut oil supplies all the warm comforting food-love you want with a dose of healthy fat to make it even better. Enjoy these treats for breakfast, pack them in lunch boxes or serve them for after-school snacks to keep your gang fueled until dinner time.
Hearty Banana Muffins with Coconut Oil
Yield: 12 muffins
Ingredients for Banana Muffins:
- 1 ½ cups white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup Coco Treasure Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon butter (approx.) for muffin tins
- Lightly wipe one 12-capacity or two 6-capacity muffin tins with butter. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flours, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, melted organic extra virgin coconut oil* and vanilla until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth and evenly blended. Fold in nuts and mashed bananas.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each cavity about half way. Tap filled tins on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooking rack.
*Never melt coconut oil in the microwave. Place the desired amount in a clean bowl and place it inside a larger bowl with one or two inches of warm water. Be careful not to spill water into the oil. The coconut oil will become liquid in a few minutes.