Not everything on the holiday dinner table needs to be heavy and full of fat—that’s where our Holiday Fruit Salad with Coconut Sugar comes in. Sometimes you just need that one more thing to balance out a big meal, and usually that thing is something fresh and light. Of course the flavor has to be there too. When there are pies and cookies and three different potato dishes to choose from, a plain tray of fruit doesn’t have much appeal. The secret ingredient of coconut sugar gives this recipe that extra something special that will have your guests and family coming back for seconds.
For the best results, prepare this dish with seasonal fruit that’s available in your area. Citrus is at its peak in the winter, feel free to substitute orange segments for the grapefruit or add any other favorite fruits you family loves. Keep the portions correct—about 5 cups of fruit in all—to make sure there’s enough dressing to add maximum flavor. Make this dish for a traditional sit-down meal, a buffet or holiday potluck. We promise, they’ll gobble it up!
Coconut Sugar gives this Salad Delicious Complexity
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups assorted seasonal apples cored and cubed ( a variety of sweet and tart apples is best if available )
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit segments cut in half
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Place honey, coconut sugar, honey and ginger in a small saucepan. Heat on low for 1-2 minutes, just long enough to melt the sugar. Whisk the ingredients well to make a smooth sauce. Remove from heat and let it cool while you prepare the fruit.
- Put chopped fruit into a serving bowl, and drizzle dressing over the top. Mix gently trying not to crush the berries.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Stir again before serving.