- 4 tablespoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 6 medium sized leeks washed* and chopped into ¾-inch rounds
- 3 medium sized carrots peeled and chopped coarsely
- 2 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped into approximately one-inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery chopped coarsely
- 3 large cloves garlic crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 Pinch red pepper flake more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6-8 cups water
- Melt Unrefined Extra Virgin Coconut Oil in stock pot on medium heat. Add all the vegetables and seasonings except for bay leaf and parsley. Cook over medium heat for about five minutes until leeks soften. Add the bay leaf and enough water to cover all the vegetables by at least one inch. Cover the pot and simmer on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Check occasionally, adding more water if needed. Use large spoon to break up large bits of potato and incorporate them into the broth. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley and enjoy.
Leeks sometimes contain a great deal of dirt and silt between the leaves. Place chopped leaks into a large bowl of cold water, and agitate them vigorously, checking for dirt as you work. Allow the leaks to soak in the water for a few minutes. The leaks will float and the silt will sink to the bottom of the bowl. Scoop clean leaks off the top with a slotted spoon. Dry well before adding to the hot oil.