Sweet potato fries are everyone’s favorite healthy side dish because they taste great and are secretly good for you even though it seems like you’re eating something naughty. Loaded sweet potato fries take all that goodness a step or two farther! Our version is somewhat of a combination between chili fries, nachos and a loaded baked potato. Yes, we can hear your mouth watering from here. A creative twist for Taco Tuesday, a healthy after-school snack or a hearty side dish—our recipe makes just enough for two hungry folks to share. You can easily double or triple the amounts to meet your needs.
If you’re not a sweet potato fry convert yet, maybe a few nutritional facts will help bring you over to the orange side. Sweet potatoes have fewer calories than white potatoes even though they contain more sugar. They’re high in lots of vitamins, such as A, B5 and B6. In fact, one serving of sweet potato provides an entire day’s worth of vitamin A which is an important antioxidant linked to cancer prevention and anti-aging.
Loaded Sweet Potato Fries are Delicious and Nutritious!
- 1 large sweet potato
- Use the general directions for our Super Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes, but cut the sweet potato in French fry-style sticks instead of cubes. Season to taste with salt and chili powder.
• ¼ cup crumbled queso quesadilla cheese
• ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack if you like an extra hot kick
• ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
• ¼ cup diced red or orange bell pepper
• ¼ ripe avocado, diced
• 1 tablespoon diced red onion
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
• 1 tablespoon sour cream
• Juice of half a lime
• Salt and pepper to taste
When potatoes are almost done cooking, use a spatula to scoop them into a pile at the center of the baking tray. Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese melts.
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
Remove fries from the oven, and transfer them to a plate.
Sprinkle bean mixture over the melted cheese and dig in!