Sugar cookies are a staple of the holiday season. Decorating cookies with the kids is a special tradition in many homes, and this “no-roll” recipe makes is easier to have family fun. Our sugar cookies with coconut oil have all the sweet simplicity you’d expect, but with the added bonus of coconut oil. Coco Treasure pure unrefined coconut oil adds an extra depth of flavor to baked goods—not to mention all the health benefits such as powerful antioxidants and cholesterol-lowering lauric acid.
Coco Treasure pure unrefined coconut oil adds an extra depth of flavor to baked goods—not to mention all the health benefits such as powerful antioxidants and cholesterol-lowering lauric acid.
For beautiful cookies you need the perfect icing, and classic Royal Icing is perfect for these old fashioned Christmas cookies. To make Royal Icing simply combine 3 1/3 cups powdered sugar with 2 large egg whites (remember, raw egg is not recommended for certain people). Beat the mixture on medium-high speed until it’s white and glossy and has tripled in volume. Divide into smaller bowls and tint with food coloring as desired.
Ready, Set, Let’s Bake Sugar Cookies with Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Cream coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until ingredients are well incorporated.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to the creamed by stirring in approximately 1/3 of the dry mixture at a time. Beat lightly to combine ingredients between each third.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. After chilling, shape dough into 1-inch balls, roll each one in granulated sugar and placed on a greased cookie sheet at least two inches apart.
- Flatten each dough ball with the bottom of a drinking glass. Each cookie should be approximately ½-inch thick. Dip the glass in sugar if it starts getting sticky.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven. Cookies should be set but not browned.
- Remove from oven and cool for 1-2 minutes before using a spatula to transfer to a wire rack. Decorate after cookies are completely cooled.