Carrots may be the only vegetable that remind us of both spring and fall. Tender baby carrots are often featured on menus for spring holiday meals and glazed or roasted carrots are popular in fall menus. This luscious and vegan soup is as versatile as the humble carrot itself. It is hearty enough for a main dish and light enough for a starter It would be equally delicious served chilled at your next spring party or piping hot with a chunk of crusty bread to fill you on a winter’s night. Roasting the carrots first brings out their natural sweetness and gives the finished soup a more complex, satisfying flavor.
Making Roasted Carrot Soup
Yield: 4 servings
For Roasted Carrot Soup you will need:
- 6 cups carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Coco Treasure Pure Coconut Oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Toss the chopped carrots with 1 teaspoon of the high in nutrition pure virgin coconut oil and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Place in a preheated 400-degree oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender and slightly browned.
- While the carrots are roasting, finely chop the onion and mince the garlic. In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté the vegetables until the onions are translucent but not brown. Stir in salt, and spices, cook for a few seconds until fragrant. Add the broth and roasted carrots.
- Mash carrots or, for a creamier consistency, puree with an immersion blender. Add more water or broth if needed for desired consistency. Heat soup thoroughly. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice. Ladle into bowls and top with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Try also our Spicy Coconut Soup with Bok Choy and Mushrooms.