Swedish meatballs are versatile and economical to prepare for a big crowd. They can be served as hot appetizers with a side of grape jelly for dipping or with mashed potatoes for a true comfort-food feast. For a traditional Scandinavian meal, serve these tender meatballs on top of riced potatoes. Garnish them with a heaping spoonful of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh or dried dill. A salad of pickled beets and onions is the perfect accompaniment to keep with the Scandinavian theme. Another fun serving suggestion is to roll meatballs, roasted peppers and thinly sliced red onions in flat bread for a delicious lunch. Our Swedish meatballs are made in the slow cooker with the help of organic extra virgin coconut oil to make sure they come out juicy and delicious.
To Prepare Slow-Cooked Swedish Meatballs:
Yield: 4 entrée servings or approximately 20 appetizers
Ingredients for Swedish Meatballs:
- ½ cup fine bread crumbs
- ¼ cup cream
- 1 lb. ground beef or mixture of ground meats such as lamb, turkey or pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- One pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup Coco Treasure’s Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Combine bread crumbs and cream in large bowl and let set for 5 minutes. Discard any extra cream that has not been absorbed. Add the ground meat, seasonings and egg. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated, shape into walnut-sized meatballs.
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs in small batches and place them into slow cooker. When all meatballs have been browned, whisk flour into the fat and juices remaining in the pan. Cook organic coconut flour for about two minutes. Slowly add stock while whisking. Bring mixture to a boil, and boil for one minute. Pour gravy into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for four hours.Cover and cook on low for four hours.