Who doesn’t love hot dogs at a cookout? When it comes to Labor Day hot dog recipes, nothing could be simpler or more traditional than a good old-fashioned wiener with ketchup and mustard. But we can do better than that! Save the ketchup for the kids, and serve the grownups a spicy, cheesy Sriracha dog that will have them barking for seconds. Of course, every hot dog recipe needs to start with a juicy, flavorful sausage. To make the best grilled hot dogs in the neighborhood, follow these tips:
First, pick a great dog. All-beef franks with natural casings are our favorite choice. Skinless dogs dry out easily, often burning on the outside before getting thoroughly hot on the inside. Though they might plump when cooked, they tend to shrivel more when cooled. If you must use skinless dogs, make 4 or 5 slashes about halfway through the meat on one side. This will let the inside get nice and hot before the outside burns.
The best method for grilling hot dogs with natural casings involves a two-step process. First, warm the dogs in a flavorful braising liquid such as beer or vegetable broth. Once the hot dogs are sufficiently hot, give them a quick char on a hot grill for a great bite. Remember that hot dogs are precooked. The work of the grill master is to properly reheat the dog and bring out its natural juices. One of the most common mistakes is leaving the hot dogs on the grill for too long.
- 8 hot dogs and buns grilled
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 8 oz. jar pickled jalapeño peppers—dice approximately 16-32 slices of jalapeño depending on your heat preference
- 1 tablespoon pickling juice from the jalapeños
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Combine tomato sauce, sugar, salt, cinnamon, vinegar and Sriracha sauce in a sauce pan. Place over medium heat and warm thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Place cabbage, diced peppers, pepper juice and mayonnaise in a bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place grilled hot dog in the bun and spread approximately 1 tablespoon of tomato-Sriracha sauce on the dog.
- Sprinkle each hot dog with approximately 2 tablespoons cheese. Top with slaw mixture and enjoy.