When you hear coconut chicken you usually think of chicken slices coated with a crunchy, sweet coating of coconut and bread crumbs. Tasty, right? Well, this coconut chicken is totally different but still totally delicious. This is a perfect one-pan kind of meal that can be cooked in a wok or large skillet. As we’ve presented it, on a scale of one-to-five, the heat level would probably measure about a 3 for most people. You can mellow this dish and make it more family friendly by reducing the hot stuff by half. If you like to sweat while you eat, kick it up by swapping the chili powder for straight cayenne pepper and use a bold chili sauce like Siracha. The heat is in your hands!
Spicy Coconut Chicken
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Place the cut chicken in a bowl and add the red pepper flakes, chili powder, pepper sauce and salt. Stir to evenly coat the chicken with the seasonings.
- Melt coconut oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. When the pan and oil are hot, add the chicken. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan or the chicken will steam cook without browning. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until chicken is evenly golden brown.
- Add onions and peppers. Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are hot throughout but still crunchy.
- Remove from heat. Toss in the coconut and peanuts before serving. Sprinkle green onions over the top.
Serving suggestion: Serve over hot jasmine rice or finely shredded cabbage for a low-carb entrée salad.
Here is also another chicken recipe you will love to cook: Coconut Shrimp with Lime.