Approximately 10 Muffin-sized bombs
Coconut Oil Bath Bomb Ingredients:
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup bath salts (Epsom salts or sea salts all work equally well, let your budget be your guide)
- ½ cup citric acid
- 2 tablespoons Certified Organic Coco Treasure’s Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 20 drops essential oils*
- Stir the soda, salt and citric acid together in a mixing bowl. Add your choice of essential oils to the melted coconut oil. Stir the oil into the dry ingredients. The mixture should stay in a clump when you press a handful in your palm. If it doesn’t clump, sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon water over the bowl and stir. Don’t be concerned if the citric acid fizzes a little bit. Continue adding a few drops of water until the mixture becomes wet enough to clump.
- Scoop approximately ¼ cup of the mixture into each cavity of a muffin tin. Fill each container about half way. Press lightly into the mold to compact the mixture. Allow the organic extra virgin coconut oil bath bombs to dry for 24-48 hours. The bombs are thoroughly dry when they slide easily out of the overturned tin.
Note: If you have molds especially for making bath bombs, use them! But no fancy fixtures are needed. In addition to a muffin tin, you can shape bombs in candy or soap molds or use your hands to press them into rustic balls.
*A note about essential oils: High-quality therapeutic grade essential oils can be expensive to invest in. Modestly priced essential oils from your favorite health food store are perfectly acceptable for cosmetic use. In both cases, a little goes a long way. Purchase the best essential oil you can afford, but do check the label to make sure you’re getting a real essential oil. Avoid any products with words like “scented” “perfumed,” or “infused.” The variety of scents available can be confusing when you’re first getting started with oils. This guide can help you in selecting a few basic oils:
- Lavender—Relaxing, promotes sleep and good for sensitive skin
- Citrus (Orange, lemon and grapefruit)—Invigorating said to improve mental clarity
- Eucalyptus— Relieves respiratory congestion and eases sore, tired muscles
- Rosemary—Cleansing and purifying to the skin, also helpful to relieve aching muscles
- Jasmine—Sensual and relaxing
- Ylang Ylang—Quiets a busy mind